Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Sewing is not Easy: Finishing my Lolita Skirt Project


I don't need to settle this with a long post so here I go: after the event, I felt refreshed (kind of) and decided to finish my lolita skirt. Just like the starting phase, arranging the pieces together and pinning them down were tiring. The cotton fabric was a bit heavy and I missed up with the skirt width; it was supposed to be 90 inches instead of 120 inches so yeah.



The color is pretty but the piece itself was heavy ;__;

A little bit of sewing, edging and putting the waistband together and there you go, the skirt is finally done. But, it was not the length I expected it to be. The skirt almost touched my ankles (I'm a short stack, ugh) so I have to return and sit in front of the sewing machine again to sew more. This was the time when I realized that seam rippers and scissors were my sewing bestfriends. I have to cut the ends and sew it again. It was a bit of frustrating but the whole experience made me realized that sewing is not that easy; just because you can use a sewing machine doesn't  necessarily mean that you can already sewing like a pro. You have to learn the basics: drafting patterns, choosing the right fabric (the fabric was pretty heavy so it didn't poofeed well), and sewing the proper hems and seams.\




It was not what I expected it to be but I just noticed a bit of a catch from my finished project:


It was accidental but I just went Eureka moment after I noticed this.

And there you have it; a sewing realization. But it doesn't end there. I may not be the best seamstress but I can always train to be like one.






No comments:

Post a Comment